This is a fun little drink that I developed after being introduced to the wonders of fresh red bell pepper juice in The Office Party shooter from Hornitos Tequila.
The Color Me Veggie is a mix of red bell pepper, carrot, and cherry juice with a little thyme and homemade sour mix and it is a jolt of energy that only fresh vegetable juice can give. It is also unique because, let’s be honest, how many times have you thought of juicing a bell pepper? It’s quite amazing and before you mix the drink, I encourage you to take a straight shot of the juice to experience the hidden beauty inside those garden favorites.
I call this an instant veggie buzz and it is a great way to rejuvenate in the morning or when you’re feeling a little worn out throughout the day.
A few notes about this recipe:
- I enjoy it served over ice, though you can serve it straight. It also looks stunning in a cocktail glass and makes a nice addition to brunch.
- Carrot and cherry juices can be found at most grocers. If you have a juicer, use it! Don’t forget to pit the cherries, though.
- Bell peppers are easy to juice.
- If you have a juicer, just remove the stem and toss it in.
- If you don’t have a juicer, then a muddler is your best friend in this instance (it’s a tool every kitchen should have). You will want to muddle slices of pepper until you release all of their delicious juice and it does take a few minutes of muscle power, but the energy boost will take care of that.
- From a juicer, red bell peppers yield about 10 ounces for every 3 peppers. I have released about 1 1/2 ounces from one pepper with a muddler.